"Living a Life of Adventure Enjoy Wonderful Feelings"
St. Joseph Forane Church, located at Pallippurathussery, Vaikom was established in 1391 AD. There are about 650 families under this parish. It was generally believed that the representatives of this church had taken part in the Synod of Diamper (1599). The diocesan curia erected this church as a Forane Church in 1958.
The marriage of St. Joseph with Holy Mary is commemorated here as the major feast. In the contemporary social context, where marital life faces many challenges, lot of people used to visit this church and plead the help of St. Joseph. Believers specially pray for fruitful family life and graceful children.
The present church building was built in 1809 under the vicarship of V. Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Koikkeril. The big and beautiful belfry constructed in 1961 is ornamented with 3 bells brought from France in 1923. These three valuable bells were the memento of Sacerdotal Golden Jubilee of Rev. Fr. Jacob Vetticappilly. Relic of Holy Cross of Our Lord, brought from Rome in 1925, is kept in this church. The present presbytery is built in 1968. Recently, is 2012 a new presbytery, with office facilities has blessed by His Eminence Cardinal George Alanchery.
In connection with the Second Centenary Celebration, the church building has renovated under the leadership of V. Rev. Fr. John Thekkan, the fvicar. An awesome grotto of Blessed Virgin Mary decorates the churchyard. The statue of Holy Mary is carved out of ‘Devadaru’ (Cedrus deodara) and Rev. Fr. Syriac Puthenangady brought it from Fathima.
St. Joseph Forane Church, Vaikom is blessed with a good number of vocations. The first Bishop of Gorakhpoor diocese, Mar Dominic Kokattu and the present Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly, Mar Sebastian Adayanthrath belong to this parish. Besides a good number of expired priests and nuns, at present, 31 priests and 80 nuns from this parish serve the church both inside and outside India.